This week has been fire week. The children discovered smoke in the forest area and posed their own questions about fire.
Our next session involved learning about what a fire needs to come alive. We looked at the fire triangle and learned about oxygen, heat and fuel. We did an experiment with candles to see what would happen if we took one of these things away.
When we sprayed one candle with water, we eliminated the heat and the fire went out. Next, we covered one candle with a glass to stop the oxygen supply, and watched the flame die!
The third part was to see what would happen if a fire had no fuel. We let the candle burn down until there was no wax left. The fire died!
To end our fantastic week on fires, we learned about fire safety and then went to build our own fire in the forest area. The children had a go at using the steels to create a spark. They then took it in turns to wear a fire glove and toast their marshmallows.
We poured water over the fire to put it out and safely exited the fire circle. When we got back to class we had hot chocolate and reflected on our experience.